Security Industry Authority

Hylton-Potts - London Based Law Firm Helping People Across the UK since 1999

Hylton-Potts Legal Consultants can deal with regulatory offence issues on your behalf.

These include investigations or prosecutions by the Health and Safety Executive, Trading Standards, Office of Fair Trading, Local Authority Environmental Health, Public Carriage Office or the Security Industry Authority.

We can assist you at any stage of the legal process, from initial investigation to representation at the Magistrates’ Court, as well as advise on any appeal issues.

Security Industry Authority (SIA)

Your licence is important to your livelihood. At Hylton-Potts we can deal with the SIA on your behalf, to help you keep it.

SIA licensing covers manned guarding, such as door supervision, security guarding, cash and valuables in transit, CCTV surveillance, key holding and vehicle immobilising and close protection.

Licensing ensures that private security operatives are “fit and proper” persons, who are trained and qualified to do their job.

You may not be able to obtain a license if you are not considered a “fit and proper” person. This is usually because of a previous criminal conviction.

The SIA can also revoke your license or suspend it, if you receive a criminal conviction. They can also refuse to renew an existing licence.

If the S I A refuse you a license, we can help you appeal that decision, by drafting your application to the Magistrates Court.

Appeal against refusal to grant or revocation of SIA licence £1250

The penalties for not having a licence under the current legislation can include imprisonment. Working as a door supervisor without a licence could result in a prison sentence of six months and/or a fine of up to £5000.

Hylton-Potts can make representations to the SIA. We have a high success rate in enabling badge holders to hold their licenses.

To learn more consult the experts – For more information or a free legal opinion telephone 020-7381-8111 or email [email protected].

Get Licensed – SIA Licensing Criteria – click to download


There are 2 types of licence –

a front line licence is required if undertaking designated licensable activity other than key

holding activities (a front line licence also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front

line licence is in the form of a credit card sized plastic card that must be worn where it can

be seen at all times when engaging in designated licensable activity, subject to the licence


a non-front line licence is required for those, including directors, who manage, supervise and/

or employ individuals who engage in designated licensable activity, as long as front line activity is

not carried out. A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers front

line key holding activities.

Holders of front line licences must:

• Wear the licence where it can be seen at all times when engaging in designated licensable

activity (unless you have reported it lost or stolen, or it is in our possession)

• Produce the licence for inspection on the request of any constable, or other person so

authorised by the SIA

• • Tell us as soon as practicable of any change to your right to remain or work in the UK.

*Covert Activity:

You do not have to wear your licence where it can be seen, if you can demonstrate that the nature

of that conduct on that occasion requires that you should not be immediately identifiable as someone

engaging in such conduct. On such occasions you must carry your licence on you and be able to

produce it on request. This allows store detectives or close protection operatives to perform

licensable activities without the need to be identifiable. This cannot apply to vehicle immobilisers.


Non-front line staff and key holders must:

• • Produce the licence for inspection on the request of any constable, any member or employee

of the SIA or other person authorised by the SIA

• • Not deface or alter the licence in any way or display a defaced or altered licence

• Tell us in writing as soon as practicable of any change to your right to remain or work in the UK.

A non-front line licence is issued in the form of a letter.


You will need to obtain a recognised qualification by taking a training

course and passing an exam in order to get a front line licence in the following sectors:

• Cash and Valuables in Transit

• Close Protection

• Door Supervision

• Public Space Surveillance (CCTV)

• Security Guard

• Vehicle Immobilisers (only permissible in Northern Ireland).


Penalties for operating without a licence

For those working in a licensable security role or supplying unlicensed security staff, without an SIA

licence the penalties are:

• summary conviction at a Magistrate’s Court, Sheriff Court or District Court: a maximum

penalty of six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to the statutory maximum, or

• trial on indictment at Crown Court, High Court of Justiciary or Sheriff and jury trial (for

supplying unlicensed staff only), an unlimited fine and/or up to five years imprisonment.

Interested parties should seek their own independent legal advice on this matter if they are concerned

about their individual liabilities


Door supervision

A Door Supervisor licence is required if manned guarding activities are undertaken in relation to

licensed premises*, except where the activity only involves the use of CCTV equipment or falls within the definition of cash and valuables in transit or close protection described above. A Door Supervisor licence is required if an individual performs this activity on their own behalf or for an employer or where services are supplied for the purposes of, or in connection with, any contract to a consumer.

Public space surveillance (CCTV)

A Public Space Surveillance (CCTV) licence is required when manned guarding activities are

undertaken involving the use of closed circuit television equipment to:

a) monitor the activities of a member of the public in a public or private place; or

b) identify a particular person including the use of CCTV in these cases to record images that are viewed on non-CCTV equipment, for purposes other than identifying a trespasser or protecting property.