Cohabitation (Living Together) Lawyers

Hylton-Potts - The London Based Law Firm helping people across the UK

Hylton-Potts are experienced lawyers dealing with cohabitation and living together issues. We understand that it can be a difficult time and we are here to ensure you get a satisfactory outcome. Call or email us today.
We’re on your side every step of the way.

We’re here to help you;

  • 24 hour free email legal service.
  • Office hours free telephone helpline.
  • Everything strictly confidential.
  • Dedicated expert and experienced lawyer.
  • Available by telephone, Skype, meeting and email.
  • Fixed Fees.
  • Cheaper and better than solicitors.

Call us today on – 020 7381 8111

    Contact Hylton-Potts

    Required fields are marked (*)

    Your Name (*)

    Your Email (*)

    Your Telephone No. (Optional)

    Your Message (*)

    We can help get you the best result.

    • We can help with cohabitation problems involving property, money and children, and other legislation.
    • We provide expert legal advice every step of the way.
    • We can also provide you with a fixed fee for financial claims.
    • If you have children with your ex-partner, we offer expert advice in cases involving children.
    • We are expert at providing advice to people who cohabit. but are not married.

    Does Cohabitation (Living Together) = “Common Law Wife”?

    Cohabitation (living together) is where people are not married or in a civil partnership.  There is no such thing as a “common law wife”.  Such a person does not exist in law.  Sorry to smash another legal myth. To avoid arguments we can draft a straightforward “living together” Cohabitation Agreement for a highly competitive fixed fee to avoid arguments later.

    If however there is an argument or dispute on break up, we can help. We are experts advising on how to handle coercive or controlling behaviour, now a criminal offence (more helpful advice can be found here – Sometimes a former partner (cohabite) may have a claim on the property and also a claim can be made if there is a child ( – A Survival Guide to sorting out arrangements for your Children).

    If the property is jointly owned then one party can apply to the Court for a sale or another Court Order such as buying the other person out ( – Family Procedure Rules). When the purpose for which a property is bought (usually a “love nest”) ends, the property must be sold, but this can be delayed until any children are grown up.

    If the property is not in your name at all, it is still sometimes possible to make a successful claim as a cohabite.  We are experts at this.  Things to look out for are whether you have helped pay the mortgage direct, both behaved in a way that a Judge thinks you intended to share ownership, or physically improving the property such as tiling in the kitchen.

    Has the property been called “our house”?  Who has paid for what?  Are finances separate or pooled together?  A claim can be made under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (ToLATA).

    Also remember that even though your claim may be weak, it does not mean that a good, tough lawyer cannot get you something with a “Rottweiler” approach.  Rodney did not get his nickname by being touchy feely.  We provide expert advice at every step of the way at highly competitive fixed fees.

    Why choose Hylton-Potts?

    The fixed, guaranteed fees include all required documents, advice from experienced, approachable Cohabitation & Family Lawyers. Access to your Lawyer by email and direct dial telephone, or at meetings as you prefer. A Lawyer who explains everything, and uses clear plain English.

    We are no nonsense Street fighters good to have on your side. For us there is no such thing as ‘Just another case’ .We treat you like a close family member or lifelong friend. We provide a better and cheaper service than solicitors.

    For Further Information

    You have nothing to lose, so why not get in touch by picking up the phone and giving us call today on – 020 7381 8111.